There are quite a few backup options available in Windows 7 and one of them is creating a system image. You do not need to make use of a third party application such as Ghost or True Image to do it. You can do it simply by making use of a feature available on Windows 7.
After installing Windows 7 and all your favorite software on your system, you need to create a system image of your machine. The image disc you create will come handy in case your pc crashes and it will help you to restore your system to the current state. What is a system image? It is an exact copy of the things you have stored on your drive. The best time to perform a system image is when you feel the system is working in perfect condition.
Here is how you can create a system image in Windows 7
1. Click on the Windows logo on the bottom left of the screen and click on Getting Started and then click on Back up your files. Alternatively, you can type Backup and Restore in the search field present on the Start Menu.
2. On the new Window that opened, you need to click on Create a system image. Doing this will open a new window with the title Create a system image.
3. You need to select where you want to save the system image file. You can save the image on to your hard drive, or on external hard disk drive or on multiple DVD’s through burning and you can even store it on a network location. Once you have selected the appropriate option, click Next.
4. On the Which drives do you want to include in the backup screen, you need to select the drives you want to backup and then click on Next. Please note that on the same screen, you will also be shown how much space the backup would take.
5. The next screen is Confirm your backup settings. Here you will be shown all the drives that will be backed up. Once confirmed, click on Start backup.
6. You will now see a progress meter that will show the progress of the images that are being created. The speed of the backup varies from system to system depending upon its configuration.
7. Once the process finishes, you will be asked Do you want to create a system repair disc? And it will also tell you what a system repair disc is. You can confirm by pressing Yes and save the system repair disc in a secure location and it will lead you on to the next screen.
8. On this screen, you will be prompted to enter a black CD or DVD to store your system repair image. Once you pop in the disc, you can click on Create Disc.
When you want to restore the backed up system image and system repair disc, you can go to theSystem Recovery Options and choose the appropriate option.